Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's Over!

Last night, the Charleston Southern Buccaneers defeated Morris College in convincing fashion, ending our losing streak at ten games. It was a team effort and Omar Carter seemed to return to form, hopefully for good. We take on Coastal Carolina Saturday, in an effort to extend our winning streak to two games.


Whenever the ball rolls or bounces to the bench, everyone who knows they won’t be seeing any action that game should know what to do. That’s when “Pass the Rock” comes into play. For those of you who don’t warm the bench, or simply have been left out of the loop, I’ll explain the rich tradition of “Pass the Rock.” Now let’s be honest, everyone wants to touch the ball. And we redshirts often go games without touching Mr. Spalding. So we like to spread the wealth when the opportunity arises. The game is simple. When the ball exits the court of play and comes into contact with a benchwarmer, it is their duty to pass the ball down the bench, one by one, until the referee asks for the ball. I’m explaining this because last night, the amazingly rare opportunity arose and someone literally dropped the ball. I don’t like to put my teammate/friend/fellow benchwarmer down, but this issue must be addressed. The ball was blocked out of bounds by J.T. Knight. The ball then landed in Kenny’s hands, beginning the classic “Pass the Rock” entertainment. Kenny (redshirt), who’s reflexes immediately kicked in, flipped the ball to Billy (redshirt candidate), who swiftly tossed it to me. I then handed it off to Sweeney (redshirt), who for some reason wasn’t paying attention, and dropped the ball. Mr. Spalding bounced off the floor, by the time he regained possession, the referee was standing in front of him demanding the basketball. Thus, ending the short lived episode of “Pass the Rock.” We all shook our heads in disappointment. All Sweeney had to do was catch the ball, pass it to Tracy (redshirt) to complete the highly sought after “quintuple redshirt handoff.” The redshirts will be holding a hearing later today to determine his status on the bench for the rest of the season.


As I’m sitting here in art class, trying to think of other things to write about, I can only think of one thing, and that’s how sore I am. I’m sure you avid readers are thinking, “Why is Glenn sore? The only time I ever see him move is when he stands up after a big basket is scored.” But that’s where you’re terribly wrong. As of yesterday, I am now being included in weight training. Due to my surgery, I am restricted to only lower body lifting. I can’t be sure who gave Brad (our athletic trainer) this idea, but whoever it was, I’m very disappointed in them. Because my last visit to the weight room was roughly four months ago, it was quite a shock to be thrown into that environment on such short notice. Billy (another redshirt candidate) and I were put to work immediately. Coach Jacobi had us doing lunges, box jumps, sit ups, and leg raises for what seemed like an eternity. For those of you who do not know what lunges are, look them up, do them with a 50 lb weight in your hand, and see how your legs feel the next day. Needless to say, my legs feel like rubber and are on the verge of catching cramps with every step I take. If Brad’s intention was to put me in pain, he succeeded. In my honest opinion, I believe he is extremely jealous of my jumping ability and was tired of seeing me put them on display.

I want to conclude this blog with some great news. The Redshirt Year and Beyond has eclipsed the one thousandth visitor mark. To celebrate, we will have a surprise guest blogger for one of our future posts. I’m not sure when this will be, but I will not torture you readers by going on another seven day drought without a post. The game vs. Coastal Carolina will be on FSN South. GO BUCS!

Yours Truly,

Self

5 comments:

  1. Come on Sweeney, pay attention, the Pass Down could have broken new records! Great Stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, when I was rowing our coach made us lunge for 2 miles. I literally could not stand up off the couch the next day. Thanks coach... - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i saw that little pass the rock thing. u guys are to funny. the referee was not amused. good going sweeney way to mess everyone up lol. i have some bengay which is great when ur sore so let me know if u need it. i dont use it cause my "sport/athletic department" is not that hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoever made the comment about sean's blogs being funnier than yours on the last blog is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the blog keep it up glen... damn sweeny u gotta catch that rock big guy.. it aint hot potato

    ReplyDelete