Thursday, February 19, 2009

Time-Out intervention

I want to start this post off by expressing my disappointment in myself for the lack of posts in the last week. One reason for this is the lack of time. We have a tough conference schedule and spend many hours on the practice floor. Another reason is the lack of wins our team has gotten. It’s not fun and very difficult to write after losses but I’m going to try to look past it and keep a positive attitude. Since Sweeney’s last post, we have lost 4 more games, extending our losing streak to 5 games. As of right now we are 2 games out of the conference tournament which means we’re going to need a miracle on 34th street if we’re going to continue our season past our last regular season game.


Enough of the negativity, despite our losing efforts we have had great successes on the bench the past 6 or 7 games. This of course is because of the never failing to impress, “Pass the Rock.” During our drought of posts, there has been a lot of action in the “Pass the Rock” world. I’m not quite sure if it’s because the publicity Mr. Spalding has been receiving due to the blog, or if it’s just sheer luck. But this rare opportunity is almost becoming a once a game episode. For all you readers back home, yes we have been executing to perfection. Perhaps we took it too far at UNC-Asheville when Kenny was threatened to be kicked out of the game because of his dedication to the game. Kenny solidified his spot in the “Pass the Rock” hall of fame by denying the ball to a ref that was right beside him, ordering him to hand the ball over. Kenny showed his true love for the game by ignoring the ref and sacrificing himself for the team, and gave the crowd what they had all been waiting for. The ref abruptly ended the game when he said the unthinkable, “son if you do it again, you’re going to the locker room.” I wasn’t sure how to react, I sat there in shock for about 30 seconds and was forced to shake it off as a media time out was called and I was required to get up once again, which brings me to my next point.


Unlike Sweeney, I enjoy media timeouts. It seems as if every media timeout I am pinched out of the huddle. Maybe it’s because I don’t hustle to the huddle quick enough after hi-fiving the players that have been on the court, or it could also be the fact that it really makes no difference whether I see or hear what coach Radebaugh has to say. I am not upset or holding any grudges against the people who have pinched me out of the huddle (coaches, players, trainers, and sometimes managers), I just look at it on the bright side. This gives me an opportunity to do one of two things. I can stare into the back of a teammate’s jersey and make it look like I have a view of the clipboard, or I can take a step back, and observe my surroundings. Usually the ladder is always chosen. Not because I don’t care what is being said, I just can’t hear it, I’m a terrible fake listener, and suffer from ADD. But this has given me time to observe the surroundings and take a look at what I missed during my high school career. There are a lot of funny things that can happen and some not so funny. I have witnessed everything from cheerleaders being mishandled to kids falling on their faces after spinning around on a bat for 10 seconds and trying to run down the court and make a layup. Those kinds of things always keep me coming back for more. At away games there is always the element of surprise, who knows what crazy games they play and the kind of dangerous stunts the cheerleaders take part in? And there is always the possibility of an uncoordinated fan dropping one of the t-shirts that were catapulted into the stands, therefore giving me an opportunity to make the snag and possibly receive a standing ovation from the opposing crowd. (I’m still waiting on that moment) I also find it quite funny that I more often than not find people in the huddle doing the same thing I’m doing. We’ll make quick eye contact and they feel like they have been caught and quickly look back into the huddle as if they had been doing that the whole time. I cannot disclose their names but they know who they are and we can keep that our secret.


I highly dislike making promises or commitments, but unless everyone is ignoring the blog, our next post will be another guest blog celebrating our 2000th visitor. That would be 1990 more people than we ever expected to read this. I guess we can consider this a success, but we’re just here to give our perspective and whatever comes with that, we will embrace with open arms. Our next game is against Presbyterian on Saturday as we will try to make moves to get into that sacred last spot in the conference tournament. Come out and support the team if you’re able to.

Yours Truly,

Self

No comments:

Post a Comment